The Writing Toolbox

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recapturing the Wonder, Part 2

My posts from here on out won't be about Ravi Zacharias's book, Recapture the Wonder: Experiencing God's Amazing Promise of Childlike Joy, but it will be today. His book is very thought-provoking and has given me reasons to stop and think about knowledge and wonder.

How often has our childlike wonder--the kind we can remember we had as kids about something--been eliminated? I remember how much I wrote as a kid, how fascinated I was with words, but as I got older, that fascination was replaced, you could say, with what I knew about publication. I stopped writing for the passion and wonder and started writing because I wanted recognition.

When Zacharias says, "Wonder is that possession of the mind that enchants the emotions while never surrendering reason," he is putting these words into a spiritual context. We have to go through life balancing wonder and reason but they don't have to cancel each other out.

At the same time, his definition of wonder is applicable to writing and so many other things. Wonder is essential to passion, passion is essential to making an impact in this world.

No comments: