The Writing Toolbox

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Getting Started-itis

I admit it, I have issues. Maybe after working a full day or more, and after the kids are in bed, you just don't "feel" like getting started writing or anything. This has been my problem of late. I just don't feel like doing a darn thing. Maybe that is a bit too melodramatic. I do "things," such as reading. I just finished up with Napoleon and Project Management. (Recommended reading, by the way, for leaders, PMs and others who just want to be an effective team member in the office. ) I'm doing a little Web development. I've got a laundry list of books to read, Web sites to finish planning, hopes and dreams to realize. But lately, even tweeting has been a chore, like going to the dentist. All I want to do is to play a game of Madden football. When you've got that frame of mind, nothing is fun.

How do you get started again, how do you dig deep enough to pull yourself out of the mental muck that you're in? Getting started with writing is particularly challenging--at least until you're able to sink into "the zone" of your work.

If you're tired after work and getting the kids to bed, let me give you a couple of articles to read. Maybe you'll find something to pull you out of your mental doledrums.

One is "25 Non-Random Things About Writing Short." It's sort of an eclectic catch-all list of ways to inspire yourself.

The other is from my other favorite writing guy from Poynter, Chip Scanlan. It's called The Best Writing Tip of All Time: Sit.

No comments: