The Writing Toolbox

Friday, December 5, 2008

Finding a Balance

In Oswald Chamber's devotional book, it says, "It is a fact that there is a continuing struggle in the physical, mental, moral and spiritual areas of life."

I can see how one affects the other, that these three aspects of life fall like dominoes when one is out of whack. For example, I've been sick and haven't exercised. Now sitting in a cube and starting at a computer all day, what I affectionately refer to as "cube-life," is starting to wear on my body--I can feel it. That makes my body weak, but also my mind. When my mind is weaker, I'm susceptible to sin.

Chambers goes on to say about this that "anything that does not strengthen me morally is the enemy of virtue within me...But we must fight to be moral. Morality does not happen by accident; moral virtue is acquired."

Wow.

I would also argue that physical and mental virtue is a battle we must acquire. (And then when these are out of whack, it affects our writing life. After all, who can have a stare-down contest with a blank page and win?

No comments: