The Writing Toolbox

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Four Hour Work Week, Part 2

In other forums, I've had lots of spirited discussions about the validity of Timothy Ferriss's The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich, and, while some of his tactics may not mesh with all of my principles, a few do stand out. I thought I'd share a few of those with you over the next couple of days. Here's what you could call a "quotable quote" from his book.

"Make the best use of time instead of filling it."
I don't know how to figure out, exactly, how to accomplish my hopes and dreams, I do know one thing right now: I check email too much, and I dink around, looking at web sites I've already looked at twice that day.

I'm a writer, with a full time job, two young children and lots to do each day. I don't think I have time, but if I don't spend so much time wasting the time I have, I'd have more time. Here's my first goal: limit e-mail, and use the time to write instead.

There are other applications of this quote, of course, but the bottom line is that if you want to accomplish a goal, writing or otherwise, you've got to make the best use of your time instead of filling it with mindless chatter.





No comments: