The Writing Toolbox

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reenergized by Daddy-Daughter Time

Sometimes the most inspirational, re-energizing part of the day comes when you least expect it. (I say this because I loathe getting the kids ready for bed...it's so exhausting.)

Earlier this evening, I took my daughter on a bike ride. She rode her little Huffy Angelfire and we rode side-by-side down the bike path. After getting her ready for bed, we laid down in her "teepee," which is actually just pvc pipe and a sheet held together by a bungee cord. To me, it's a bit silly, but to her, it's a place where she transforms into Pochahantas.

We read the story of Ariel the Little Mermaid and how the two little merbabies exhausted her. I don't think she made the connection that so often she's an energetic little merbaby herself. To top it all off, she gave me one of her famous running start hugs.

It was one of those evenings when I was just glad to be a dad, and happy that I have an opportunity to save these memories.

Don't let yourself get caught up in the rat race, don't worry too much about the "stuff" you don't have, don't regret. Above all, find joy in the mundane and discover something special, even during the time of day that you like the least.

No comments: